Monday, January 08, 2007


2007 is a week old and the air of optimism is still strong. And while we use the start of the new year to look ahead, this is also the time for reflection. How can you look to correct your faults without identifying where you erred in the first place? How can you look to new and bigger success without building on your previous triumphs, however small you imagine them to be?

So while I look forward to a new year of blogging, I think it would be a serious error not to acknowledge the past one. I spent a good deal of December reading numerous best of the year type lists. While the individual position's may have altered from list to list, for the most part there seemed to be some consensus choices. I don't really wish to add my own picks in this way. Overkill and all that. Reading another list of some one's favourite artists/albums/songs of the year is unnecessary at this point. I wanted to do something a bit different and fresh, so I decided upon this. Over the next week I will be sharing some of my favourite music of the year. While it will be a review of sorts of 2006, by no means are the artists and songs limited to the past year. Instead I'll be sharing music that simply entered into my life sometime within the last year.

One of my greatest pleasures in life is discovering a new song by an artist. It could be a track buried somewhere in a popular artist's catalogue that I had never cared to explore. It could be a great tune from a new artist with a bright future or the intelligent work of a legend remaining ever so relevant. It could be a song you may have heard before and never paid attention to, maybe you wrote it off completely, then suddenly that one time, the song hits you like a gunshot and a wave of realization rolls over you.

The best songs of the year don't have to be limited to the ones that came out that year. The best songs of the year are the ones that made their way to you in that time. Lists, however critical they claim to be, are truly subjective. Lest we forget that as I take you through my own. At this point I plan to share in the neighbourhood of 50 + songs with you. A bit long-winded I'm sure, but honestly, you should have seen my original plan for this. I'll post the first batch Monday evening, and go from there every day this week. Stay tuned.

No comments: