Thursday, July 10, 2008

Cath

I wouldn't consider myself a Death Cab For Cutie fan by any stretch of the imagination. Neither before or after their Seth Cohen moment did I ever find them pleasing to my tastes. Yet, I found myself struck by a melody the other day. Upon further investigation I found the source to be Cath by Death Cab. From Narrow Stairs, their latest disc, the song has invaded me.

Cath describes a woman standing at the altar in resignation. Despite his loving her she is marrying him out of a fear that she may never be loved again, thus, she must commit or face a life alone (possibly). The plaintive "Caths," nearly yelped, the sonics that set the mood and enhance the picture, and the detailed lyrics that add texture to this portrait all combine to create a bold song.

Death Cab For Cutie - Cath mp3

The Death Cab play the Pemberton Music Festival in British Columbia on July 27th.

They recently released a video for Cath. It sticks fairly literally to the lyrics but still worth checking out

No comments: