Monday, May 14, 2007

Hey you're back

It has been roughly three weeks since I posted last. I traded roommate Luke for roommate Hawker family. That's right, this dear soldier traded in Collegetown, USA (Canada really) for the balmy locale of Barrie, Ontario AKA "The Gateway to the North."

The move home is meant as a temporary summer residence and I must say that despite the cramped quarters and hectic move it feels good to be home. I'm finally settled in (or close to) and finally felt the urge to post again after a relaxing weekend spent conspiring with old friends. Yesterday of course was Mother's Day , lest we forget. It also happened to be my sister Bethany's birthday. It was a special one for both in my eyes as it was the first time in memory that both days have fallen on the same. Seventeen years ago yesterday my sister Bethany was born on Mother's day. A special one then and now.

To get back into the blogger swing of things I'm thinking of doing an A-side/B-side week. I've been on a huge vinyl kick as of late and started picking up 45's and 7 inches. Speed City Records in London had a massive assortment of these and I spent a few afternoons in my last days in the city leafing through. My jaw dropped at some of the stuff I picked up. Some great Stones and Beatles finds that were a steal at 3/$1.00. It makes me miss London that much more when considering Barrie's criminal lack of decent record stores.

Moving on.... Today's featured artist is Arcade Fire. We all remember the hoopla leading up to Neon Bible's release. While it lacks the immediate jaw dropping appeal of Funeral, the album is no slouch either.

My favourite track as of late is Keep The Cars Running. I found myself at wit's end this week. With both my summer jobs falling through, facing a dwindling bank account and the stress of unpacking getting to me (among others) I found myself running to my car and hitting the gas and play at the same time. How literal of me.

The Keep the Car Running single was released last week stateside. Broken Window is the B-side. The Fire are in Toronto this Tuesday and Wednesday for a pair of highly anticipated and oh so Sold Out shows at Massey Hall. While I won't be in attendance unfortunately I have my memories of their epic concerts past to keep me warm at night. Enjoy!


Arcade Fire - Keep The Car Running
mp3
Arcade Fire - Broken Window mp3

No comments: